Things to love about Vincent and The Doctor:
- It gave us an insight into a famous artist and his inner demons
- It treats his mental illness with sensitivity and respect
- The acting is just incredible
- These three quotes:
- The way I see it, each life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don’t always spoil the good things, or make them unimportant. And we definitely added to his pile of good things.
- Look at the sky. It’s not dark and black and without character. The black is, in fact deep blue. And over there, lighter blue and blowing through the blues and blackness the winds swirling through the air and then shining, burning, bursting through… the stars! And you see how they roar their light. Everywhere we look, the complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes.
- Certainly, the most popular, great painter of all time, the most beloved. His command of colour, the most magnificent. He transformed the pain of his tormented life into ecstatic beauty. Pain is easy to portray, but to use your passion and pain to portray the ecstasy and joy and magnificence of our world - no-one had ever done it before. Perhaps no-one ever will again. To my mind, that strange, wild man who roamed the fields of Provence was not only the world’s greatest artist, but also one of the greatest men who ever lived